Waking up with negative thoughts

Q: Upon waking with negative thoughts, how does one establish a relationship with God?

A: I think this is what we've been talking about all along. Praying without ceasing. I find no difference in a prayer and a serious thought. They're the same thing. As we've said since we've been in here, fear or worry is a prayer for something you don't want to happen. To live in the conscious awareness of the living presence of God. I don't even much like the 'Our Father' prayer (even though I talk about it a lot). 'Our Father'. God. I talk about our Father a lot, but this relationship that we've been talking about this weekend is much, much closer than a father–son relationship. As I said, I've got two sons someplace in Southern California; I don't know whether either one of them is. That is impossible with my relationship with my own God, because God is that which I am. God is that which I am. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't be, there we be nothing, I would be extinct, but for God. Because God is life, and there's no way to be separated from God in reality.
The only separation there is, is conscious. The feeling of conscious separation from; 'left field'. Very real as an experience, but not reality. So I don't think that we ought to wake up feeling any different than when we went to sleep, or feel any different than ten minutes after we get up. Now is the deal. How is it with me, right now? If I had to get up and start praying right quick to feel good, I don't think I'd feel good when I got through praying. I think you ought to feel good before you start to pray. Again, I don't know when my prayers start and stop. I feel like Brother Lawrence a little, in that deal. Because I like to live in the conscious awareness of the Living Presence, God, in a relationship with everything around me. Everything around me. So I think that's the thing to get through your head: that now is the time. You see, this is so very vital to me, because tomorrow was always the day I was going to straighten up and fly right. But tomorrow never got here. Every time I came to it was now, and I was thirsty! So I took a drink. Tomorrow never got here. Again, I don't think I have to be in any particular position to retain this feeling of the Living Presence of God. I don't think that it happens in a church or in the mountain or in the temple or in Jerusalem. It's in my own mouth, that I might know it and do it. So that's the only answer I have for that.


(Chuck C.)

Comments