What do you do when you are disturbed?

How to make decisions

T-30.I.14. 3 And yet, you cannot make decisions by yourself. 4 The only question really is with what you choose to make them. 5 That is really all. … 8 For they are made with idols or with God.

 T-30.I.15. Your day is not at random. 2 It is set by what you choose to live it with, and how the friend whose counsel you have sought [i.e. idols/God] perceives your happiness.

The procedure

Today I will make no decisions by myself .

T-30.I.4. (2) Throughout the day, at any time you think of it and have a quiet moment for reflection, tell yourself again the kind of day you want; the feelings you would have, the things you want to happen to you, and the things you would experience, and say:

2 If I make no decisions by myself, this is the day that will be given me .

3 These two procedures, practised well, will serve to let you be directed without fear, for opposition will not first arise and then become a problem in itself.

What happens if I am disturbed?

T-30.I.5. But there will still be times when you have judged already. T-30.I.6. (3) Remember once again the day you want, and recognise that something has occurred that is not part of it. 2 Then realise that you have asked a question by yourself, and must have set an answer in your terms. 3 Then say:

4 I have no question. 5 I forgot what to decide.

And if I cannot let go of my judgement of a situation?

Stage 1

T-30.I.8. (4) If you are so unwilling to receive you cannot even let your question go, you can begin to change your mind with this:

2 At least I can decide I do not like what I feel now .

3 This much is obvious, and paves the way for the next easy step.

Stage 2

T-30.I.9. (5) Having decided that you do not like the way you feel, what could be easier than to continue with:

2 And so I hope I have been wrong.

3 But this much reason have you now attained; you would be better off if you were wrong.

T-30.I.11. (6) This tiny grain of wisdom will suffice to take you further. 2 You are not coerced, but merely hope to get a thing you want. 3 And you can say in perfect honesty:

Stage 3

4 I want another way to look at this.

T-30.I.12. (7) This final step is but acknowledgement of lack of opposition to be helped. 2 It is a statement of an open mind, not certain yet, but willing to be shown:

3 Perhaps there is another way to look at this. 
4 What can I lose by asking?

Stage 4

5 Thus you now can ask a question that makes sense, and so the answer will make sense as well. 6 Nor will you fight against it, for you see that it is you who will be helped by it.

Comments