Al Kohallek's 'Pay Forward' gifts: 286

Two hundred and sixty-six: my ‘pay forward’ gift is ‘drink the sober drunkenness’. At one time, just plain drunkenness was ‘good’. One of the first signs of sober drunkenness is a sense of joy, happiness, and freedom. Once I realised this Alcoholics Anonymous way of life was bringing into my daily life what I was looking for in the bottle, I experienced a sober drunkenness. If you are not experiencing joy, happiness, and freedom, sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, you are not doing it right, or you have not been doing it long enough, so keep coming back. The clue that you have not realised this wonderful condition is being joyless, gloomy, and bound. Perhaps you are taking life too seriously; even though alcoholism is a fatal illness, AA teaches us how to lighten up. Perhaps you are still a user of the drug of guilt and punishment. If you find yourself in this condition, get to a meeting and or call your sponsor. Or even better, see if you can help someone else; in other words: get out of yourself. When I can remember that it is better to know and do our Father’s Will instead of my own, my chance of achieving that sober drunkenness is greater. By the way, if your cloud is pink, just enjoy it as long as you can. If you find yourself saying and feeling that is a ‘God thing’, it most likely is, so enjoy. Thy Love, Thy Will be done.


(Al Kohallek)

Comments