Ego and the pain body

At a conference in Huntington Beach with Eckhart Tolle, he spoke of a universal pain body, which is fed by our engagement in the drama of our egos. He suggested replacing pain thoughts and identifications with ideas of spontaneous healing, by recognising the pain body rising and replacing those thoughts of an unlived future with the reminder that this was a pain body experience and you are not your body, you are your mind.  By replacing all pain body experiences with greater consciousness and easing the unnecessary burdens of the ego the pain dissolves.

Interviewer: You talk in your book about the pain body, both personal and collective. What do you mean by the pain body?

Tolle: The pain body is my term for the accumulation of old emotional pain that almost all people carry in their energy field. I see it as a semi-autonomous psychic entity. It consists of negative emotions that were not faced, accepted, and then let go in the moment they arose. These negative emotions leave a residue of emotional pain, which is stored in the cells of the body. There is also a collective human pain body containing the pain suffered by countless human beings throughout history. The pain body has a dormant stage and an active stage. Periodically it becomes activated, and when it does, it seeks more suffering to feed on. If you are not absolutely present, it takes over your mind and feeds on negative thinking as well as negative experiences such as drama in relationships. This is how it has been perpetuating itself throughout human history. Another way of describing the pain body is this: the addiction to unhappiness.

Interviewer: Can you suggest a way to eliminate the pain body?

Tolle: Yes. We release it by cutting the link between the pain body and our thought processes, so that we no longer feed the pain body with our thinking. Every negative thought has a similar frequency to the pain body and so feeds it. It cannot feed on positive thoughts. When the pain body no longer runs the internal dialogue of our compulsive thinking, we become aware of it directly. We feel the emotion in our body, and so we bring awareness to it, the light of consciousness. The old emotion is then transmuted into consciousness in the same way that a fire transmutes everything into itself. So dis-identification from the emotion and just being in the now moment is the way to stop the cycle of constantly recreating painful experiences.

Even Christ had shifts of level consciousness, as will all humans. Ego will try to prove its existence by reversing the law cause and effect, i.e. the body determines pain, but as Myrtle Fillmore wrote, ‘I asked God to forgive me for taking His life into my body and using it so wastefully. I promised God that I would never, never again retard the free flow of that life through my mind and my body by any false word or thought; that I would always bless it and encourage it with true thoughts and words in its wise work of building up my body temple; that I would use all diligence and wisdom in telling it just what I wanted it to do. I also saw that I was using the life of God in thinking thoughts and speaking words, and I became very watchful as to what I thought and said. I did not let any worried or anxious thoughts into my mind, and I stopped speaking gossipy, frivolous, petulant, angry words. I let a little prayer go up every hour that [God] would be with me and help me to think and speak only kind, loving, true words; and I am sure that He is with me, because I am so peaceful and happy now. I want everybody to know about this beautiful, true law and to use it. It is not a new discovery but, when you use it and get the fruits of health and harmony, it will seem new to you, and you will feel that it is your own discovery.’

Comments