Hal Marley quotations

Step Three does not say you turn your will and life over to God. It says you turn them over to the care of God. You think all you have to do is stop drinking, go to meetings, and everything will be fine. You're wrong. God will do the impossible, which means you have to do the possible. You are the action officer. He told me that God will do nothing for me I can do for myself. This is a programme of action. Action, action, action. (Hal Marley, ) 

When you come to a fork in the road, take it! (Hal Marley)

What I did in Step Three was enter into a partnership with God. God is my senior partner; I am the junior partner. Straightforward deal. I don't need to go through a secretary to get through to my senior partner. He's available in all times and in all places to provide me with the help and the guidance I need. I'm not aware of the long-range plans. I know there are deadlines next week, next month, next year, but my responsibility is only for one day at a time. Sometimes, that's too much, and I have to take it an hour at a time, five minutes at a time, and I let Him manage. (Hal Marley)

There are days when I seemingly don't get my own way, and I just have to bite the bullet. When that happens, I stop, and I say a little line from Psalm 46: Be still, and know that I am God. That puts me back into the proper frame of reference, back into the right values, back into accepting the reality I could not accept for so many years. (Hal Marley)

Without God, I can't. Without me, He won't. (Hal Marley)

Old rule of physics. Two things can't occupy the same place at the same time. So, if I had a heart full of gratitude, there's be no room in my heart, for the whole of my life, for anger, fear, guilt, remorse, or resentment. All those things that drive the alcoholic back to the bottle. (Hal Marley)

This programme is about killing self. I have to kill my self every day for the rest of my life. (Hal Marley)

Humility is the recognition of the all-ness of God and the nothingness of self. Of myself I am nothing. It's a matter of record. (Hal Marley)

Comments